Monday, June 13, 2011

I Am a Child of God

And Heeeee has sent me heeeeeeeere.
 

But really. I am. And so are you. Isn't that amazing? We are literal children of a King. THE king. Our Father in Heaven created us.
 

I am learning more about this principle now than I have in my entire life.  And it has nothing to do with me, but everything to do with other people. I  know I am a child of God because I know that God loves these people who I am  working with. I feel for them. I want them to know how much He loves them, and in turn, I realize how much He loves me. I walk down the streets,  longing for someone to listen to us and want to learn more because I know that this will bless their life in more ways than I could ever explain to  them, and then I in turn learn about how it blesses my life because I can  bear testimony to the one person who listens. I watch other missionaries work and admire their ethic and love of this work, and then I want to work harder and the Lord blesses me for it. I wonder what I can do more, and then the Lord places a tender mercy in my path to let me know that I am doing  OK.  I think about my companion, she who just wants so badly to be a good missionary and then I in turn want to be better and realize that I can not achieve anything without God. I know, like Ammon, that we cannot do anything without the Lord. "I know that I am nothing. As to my strength I am weak;  therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength, I can do all things (Alma 26:12).
 

So what I am saying is: God has allowed me to understand my divine nature through other people.
It's an interesting thing I think. I have been a pretty independent person my whole life. I have never felt so dependent as now. I need others. I need to serve those who do not know and bring them to the truth. I need to learn from those whose testimonies I admire. I need the help of the Lord. I need  the Holy Ghost. I need prayer. I need study. I need challenges, because I need growth.
 

I memorized "The Fellowship of the Unashamed" this week and I want to say it everyday. My  favorite part is in the end. "I  won't give up, shut up, or let  up until I have stayed up, stored up and paid up for the cause of Christ. I  must go til he comes, give til I drop, preach til all know, and work till He stops me. And when He returns for His own He will have no problem  recognizing me. My banner will be clear. For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power of GOD unto salvation to very one that believeth."
 

I love my Savior. And I will work hard to show Him how much I love Him. 

So. Things are... a tad interesting at the moment. A burst of frustration came out the other day. During our weekly planning session, I stood up, and I said "We have no investigators, everyone is leaving for summer, our pets HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!" Yes, I still quote Dumb and Dumber. Yes, we laughed for a really long time. Yes I feel as desperate as Lloyd. But it's not THAT bad... just interesting at the Moment.

 Skeema has moved her date to July now which is good, because we could use some more time. She is so funny. She has such an interesting story. I am learning so much from her. She is my little bird. (I'm Momma bird...) We have  a lot of fun. It is really amazing to see someone really dedicated to  giving up everything they know and want, even though it is very hard and doesn't seem very  appealing, because God wants you to. How often do I hold on to things because it would be easier to hold on to them than to give them to God? I'd rather not respond...
 

Quadra is great also. She might end up switching to the singles ward which would be ok. But I would miss her of course. We asked her the other day how she knew the Book of Mormon was true and she said "because I know that when  I read it, I will feel good and happy." I have been so blessed to teach such pure people on my mission.

  Speaking of pure people. I miss seeing RWLJ around. I'm glad he and Dar are buddies though. He is so wonderful. He makes sure to give me Paternal wisdom, you know, since I don't have a Dad anymore (come on... just laugh) which is so sweet. I'm lucky.

 Sis Bodily and I are doing great. Practicing espanol as much as we can,  talking as much as we can, and laughing as much as we can about how silly I am. She writes down everything funny that I say. I think she will have a  "Brinkerhoffism" book by the end of our time together. It's so funny because she seriously just listens to me and then laughs. I've said some pretty dumb  things, and only know it because she writes it down. Like the time we had this conversation:
  "I want to help the blinds."
  "Blinds?"
  "Yeah the blinds."
  "You mean blind people?"
  "Yeah" "Well why didn't you say the BLIND?"
  "Well because there is more than one of them!"

  Be with it as you may. Point in case.

 Last night was the departing missionary fireside. I was luckyyyyy to be able  to go and play the piano for the musical numbers (usually, sisters can't go because we are usually working at the Visitors Center but I got special permission). It was a really neat thing to hear what all of the missionaries that are leaving had to say. To hear what they learned and what they will take with them. Made me think about what I will have to say when that day comes. Hopefully something good. Some of my goodest Elder friends are leaving... So long Elders! See you in the next life (post-mission life).


  This is long. I just have good things to say.

I am reading in Isaiah now. Wow. It's good. Isaiah 29 and 53 are incredible.  "For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee." Thanks to THE Rob Gardner, I can't read that without singing.  And I love to sing, so it works out nice.

  Dear Courtney. I always read every single word you ever write me. Don't  worry. Cars suck. I love you. I read it. I got the cards, I loved them. Jealous of the trip.

 I don't think I have anything else to say. I'm so glad to be a missionary. It's the greatest thing in the world. The funniest thing in the world too...
Mostly the greatest.
 

yo se que Jesu Cristo es mi salvador. Soy una missionara porque se que soy  una hija de Dios.

  Sista Brink

No comments:

Post a Comment