Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Too Bad Ridge Doesn't Get to Meet Me for Another Year....


...Except that, lets be honest, I don't really like babies anyways until they are like 2. So I usually hold them a few times but then say "I'm bored. Take them away." BUT I DO have a new nephew, Ridge Tyler Maxson. Which I think is adorable, good choice Sis. I didn't even know Ridge was an option. I'm so glad you didn't take away my top pick for a name of "Oscar" (true story. Don't judge. I will have a son named oscar. And he'll be way cuter than any other boy in the world.) BUT I am very proud and happy to be another aunt to another awesome nephew. I always am so happy when people ask my about my family because I LOVE talking about how I have the best familia en el mundo! And it just keeps growing. So great. Welcome to the fam, Ridge! Talk to me when your 4.

Well it was just another great week here in Santa Monica! We set some new goals for finding and we actually got 3 new investigators. We have yet to meet with any of them because they are flaking, BUT at least we got to meet some goals for the week. We did meet a guy named Eddie who we had a semi-lesson with. He's been through a LOT of stuff in his life.... Gangs, prison, now works for a homeless shelter, and is in an awful divorce trying to win custody of his son. It's so funny when we talk to people and they say things like "Yeah, I've been baptized and I know that I'm saved". And then they go on to tell you all the rough stuff they have been a part of... but don't worry, they are "saved". The Atonement is just brushed under the rug which is just so sad to me because it is SO much more than just a one-time-dunk-and-you're-good-to-go. The Atonement is everlasting and learning to understand it and apply it is what this life is all about.

Lois is still around, but we haven't met with her yet cause her husband has been in the hospital but she says her "intentions are still good" and she still really wants to learn more about the Book of Mormon. Pray for Lois! She is amazing!

We had FHE with our part member family but the dad was out of tow.... But we had such a fun lesson about missionary work and made those sorry missionary tags that are in the picture. The kids loved them and we had a good time so that's all that matters right? (the perfectionist in me is trying to convince myself that it doesn't matter that the tags were awful looking haha). Those kids are adorable. Alex, the little boy is hilarious. Sister Browning asked him "Who's your favorite missionary?" He said "Sister Browninghoff". Smart kid! 

There is nothing like talking to someone on the street who is CLEARLY high and then walking away and him saying "I was gonna offer you a hit... but then I realized you were a missionary". Nice. We meet people that ae high ALL the time. It's really sad. But they are usually really nice.... haha.

Robert Webster Light Jr is getting the Priesthood this week! He is so stoked. His Birthday is coming up in March and so we were talking to him about what we could do for him. He "isn't particular to food" but he does like taco bell so we decided we'd take him there. He came to the VC yesterday needing to talk to us.... He says "I need to talk to you about our birthday gathering. I know that we had decided to go to Taco Bell... but I just don't know how I feel about that. I mean honestly, if you want to do something for me for my birthday, then write me a card and we can spend some time together... Tacos are a part of life, they come and they go but it's the friendship that matters. I've never had friends before and I don't want you to go to trouble to buy me tacos when all I really want is to spend time with the greatest missionaries that the church has to offer." (you can wipe away your tear now). We will definitely be writing him a card, don't you even worry. We will still try to do something for him even though he doesn't want tacos.

I wish there was more to update on but there really isn't. Miracles happen left and right at the VC especially when it includes me speaking in Spanish. I can almost talk about the Gospel pretty well but real life conversation, don't even ask me to do that. I do love Spanish though and I love learning it and speaking the words that I do know. Haha.

The Book of Mormon is just awesome. In my reading yesterday I read about Alma and Amulek in Alma 14 when they watch all the women and children be burned. It really paints such a vivid picture and puts tears in my eyes every time I read. When Amulek says "Behold, perhaps they will burn us also." Alma responds "Be it according to the will of the Lord. But, behold our work is not finished; therefore they burn us not," It makes me think how sometimes we think we should just give up and let the world destroy us. Rather, let satan destroy us by USING the worlds influence. But alas, our work is not finished! Therefore, don't give in! Let the Savior decide what we need to do and go forward, not letting the stumbling blocks or the hard and bad things that happen to us and others stand in the way of the work that the Lord has for us to do. obviously for me right now it is my mission. There are hard moments, but they are only moments and the big picture, the RWLJ's of the world makes the watching the flames like Alma and Amulek all worth it. The world is such a sick place, especially here in Los Angeles. Satan is just holding the reins and this city is the horse.

Well I think that is all for now. The Church is true. The Book of Mormon is awesome. I love being a missionary and I am so glad to be here.

Sista Brink
Zekaih and her boys and I. She is a recent convert and is so amazing. She's had more challenges than I've ever heard of and she still comes to church every sunday. So awesome.

The Meyer Family kids and Sis Browning and I with their name tags haha. Don't judge. We are poor missionaries ok

No comments:

Post a Comment