Monday, May 23, 2011

OH my life.


My life is so funny right now. I am a missionary in Los Angeles California. I drove through Korea town today, where everything was in Korean and then 2 minutes later was in the heart of Beverly Hills where nothing is in Korean. I meet people from everywhere in the US who seem to know ONE Brinkerhoff and they want us to be related. I where a skirt every day. I wear crocks. I talk to people about Jesus Christ who seem like they want to cut me open and eat me for dinner. I get to have seriously cool experiences every day. I get to read the Book of Mormon every day. I wake up at 6:30 every day. I write down a miracle every day. I cry often. I am training a brand new missionary who is probably going to mimic everything I do, so I better shape up. I think that these 19 year old, awkward, dorky Elders are the greatest thing ever. I sing "whenever I hear" to people all the time, instead of a Broadway song. And it's way better. I love my life.

I am not sure even what to write about today. There is a lot going on in my brain. And I only want to focus on the good and the positive, not the frustrating or the unsure.

Deanne. She is the classiest lady since Elizabeth Taylor. She has curly sassy hair and LOVES my curls. She is reading the Book of Mormon, she doesn't love the writing. We watched "The Joseph Smith Movie" and she said it was propaganda (HA!). She wanted to stop meeting with us, but with a few questions, some good listeners, and her own self discoveries, she said she would keep reading and praying. She loves us. She thinks we are the greatest things since sliced bread. We sang for her and she talked to us for 20 minutes about how we need to have an act. Like Velma Kelly and Roxy. (Sis Bodily and I do sound good together if I do say so myself... She has a cool jazzy sound) And she told us she would be our designers. Because that's what she does. She is a fashion lady. So of course she and I hit it off. She even gave me some curl cream. I love her. Pray for Deanne. She is amazing and needs this! I mean, don't we all?

Kaz. Wants to get baptized June 4th. We are unsure of her readiness... taking it up with the Lord. Although she really won't have it any other way because she sincerely believes this is where God wants her. And I sincerely believe that I would struggle to let her be baptized without a 100% "I know this is true"... Although she believes that will come. And it will. But ideally that happens before the baptism... Pray for Kaz. I love her so much and just want what is best for her.

Megan's confirmation was yesterday and it was so lovely. She is going to make the best Relief Society president someday. And I want to be in her ward.

Hey guess what?! The world didn't end! Ha. That was a funny thing over here in LA. People were legitimately scared. I guess I would have been too. Oh how grateful I am for the Gospel and for the Book of Mormon. And the Doctrine and Covenants. And a prophet. And that if the end happens in the next 9 months, Im just a hop skip and a jump away from the temple. So... I guess I am pretty lucky.

I am almost done with the Old Testament. It was a new years goal to read the entire standard works and it has taken me 5 months to get to Songs of Solomon. Don't judge me, the Old testament is HARD! But I really have been loving it. I love reading it and having realizations that the Bible is good proof that we needed the Book of Mormon. I am excited to get into the New Testament though.

My companion and I are learning Spanish. She was called Spanish speaking, and I for some crazy reason decided when I got here that I would learn. So we are learning together. We practice often and I am trying to give Spanish tours at the Visitors Center. It's kind of funny because the people sometimes just like to help me, which is great. They love seeing me try. Probably because it's hilarious. But the native speakers say I sound pretty good. How many words I know is another story... I'll keep practicing. I love it. I think I will keep studying it after the mission. Maybe change my major to Spanish. Just kidding. But seriously.

Miracle of miracles. Heather Burgess was here at the Visitors Center. And told me her family was getting sealed. I was choked up all day about it. I LOVE her and was so happy to hear about that for her family! (ps. Heather and I became good friends at BYU... that's how I know her :) I kept using her family as an example in my tours all day. And all day I was thinking "that's what it is all about". Completely what it is all about.

We had a mini missionary with us this weekend! Sister Hepworth. She was a doll. She was so funny. We hit it off after we both discovered we like Joanna Nussim (no idea how to spell that) and we started singing her songs and it was really funny. Took me back to when I would listen to those songs. Looong time ago. Anyways. It was fun to have her around. I don't think she totally loved being in church for 6 hours on Sunday though. We have 2 wards, so when our Visitors Center Schedule allows, we go  to both. It's a long time to be at church. But great.

I don't think I have anything else to report on... Things are going really well. I am so happy to be a missionary. The Gospel IS true. Without a doubt.

The Pictures are of me and my boyfriend, Aidan, who is the son of one of my dearest friends that I made at the VC and then Sis Bodily and I and our Mini missionary.

Love
Sista Brink






No comments:

Post a Comment