Monday, July 4, 2011

Jose Can You Sing?


No no, he can't. It's true, Latinos generally can't really sing.

I actually remember when I realized that those weren't the real words to that song. And I'm sad to say it wasn't TOO long ago.... I also slept with my parents (and my friends' parents on occasion) til I was 12 because of Chucky the doll, remember? Estoy que Esta. (Tyler you would like this... one time Sis Bodily said something in Spanish and I wanted to say something like "Be with it as you may" but I didn't know how to translate. So I decided to say "Estoy que esta" which obviously is "I am what it is" (not really). Which also doesn't make any sense. Anyways, it was funny)

Its the fourth of July! Man, I actually really love this holiday. Few reasons:
1) I love red. But only as an accent color, and it is a GREAT accent color for we Americans.
2) Freedom is a good thing. That's how we have the religion we have! What a blessing.
3) Rousing renditions of the Star Spangled Banner (Jose can you sing)
4) Fireworks. And I remember so many memories in Heber AZ watching fireworks at the High school.
5) Barbecues
6) Really great reason to go shopping.
7) Makes me think how every time we passed a flag, Dar would start singing "You're a grand ole flag" and swerve the van around. Oh momma Dar, how wonderful you are.

My 4th of July celebrations were much different than my old life today. But we did go shopping, with Skeema. And I am wearing a red shirt. And I like freedom, and because of that freedom, I am able to be here talking to people about Jesus Christ and they have the choice to accept or not (freedom on many levels... agency included).  And we did have a seriously rousing rendition of the star spangled banner at church yesterday with Sis Anderson leading with her decked-out 4th of July attire on. So classic and wonderful. And we will probably be able to see the fireworks from the Hollywood Bowl (speaking of that. I HAVE to come back for that next year. Who's in?) tonight from our apartment. And I can sing "You're a grand ole flag" just as good as my Momma. So there. Not a bad 4th of July. The best, in fact. I will say though I've been RACKING my brain to remember what I did last 4th of July. I can remember the year before that, but I can't for the life of me remember where I was on the 4th last year. If you remember, let me know. If I was with you, and you're sad that I can't remember, just know that sometimes I can't remember the name of my favorite Broadway stars or a friends last name. It happens. It's called spiritual fog in the brain. Or just a protection from the world... either way, my brain is a tad lost sometimes.

This week was grand. Every time I sit here to write about my weeks, I can't remember a thing. But then after I start typing the memories flow. I also keep a little memory journal which helps.

Ok first things first: JOE! I wasn't mad at you! How could I be mad at you? I just couldn't really talk because there were people STARING at me and I was p-probably BRIGHT red. You kill me, it was hilarious, and I loved it. Mom, don't ever do that.

AND it was such a surprise to see my Hallie and Robin! I come out of the bathroom and about died when I saw them sitting in the family area. I love them so much! It was so great to see them. I have the bestest friends. It's fun for people to see my little world here in Los Angeles.

We talked to Granny G this week about the Atonement. She didn't really understand that we have to repent for everything, not just stealing or hurting someone, but for even gossiping and those things. She is adorable. She walks into the church on Sunday with a black bag and hands it to me. It was an ADORABLE vintage, retro scarf. Of course I love it. And the note attached said "Thank you for giving me an opportunity to correct my mistakes. Thank you for your time in my home." About made the tears flow! How sweet is that. I loved that almost as much as I loved it when, halfway through sacrament, she stands up from her seat just a bench behind us where she was sitting with a couple of members, marches to us (important to note that it was fast Sunday so everyone thought she was getting up) and says "can we go now?" to which I replied "No, it's not over yet." It was pretty hilarious.

We had 2 women come to church yesterday asking questions, one from Paris and the other from the middle east, and we have an appointment with each of them tomorrow. MIRACLE!

Skeema is hilarious. I told her yesterday, in a very long speech (that she very much deserved... long story)  to which she replied "Woa. I'm scared of you. That's good. That was a good speech.", a lot of things that needed to be said. I just opened my mouth, spoke, and then honestly could not remember what I said. But Skeema understood, and I felt so grateful that the Spirit was able to speak to her through me. Sometimes it's like she is speaking Portuguese. And it sounds amazing, and you want to listen, but you can't understand a word she is saying because it's in a different language. So yesterday, the Spirit allowed me to speak HER language, and we communicated. It was really neat. She is fascinated by the fact that Christ visited the Americas. Not quite sold that the Atonement is real just yet. It's a little too good to be true for her at this point, which is completely understandable. You don't know unless you try.

Quadra is wonderful. She has decided to for sure be baptized July 23rd. Hoooooooorrrrrrraaaaaaaaay!!!

I love the Book of Mormon. I'm in the beginning chapters of 3 Nephi and it always stresses me out as it gets closer to the coming of Christ because the people are willfully rejecting the word of God. It's so sad! But then there are amazing people too who are doing the very best that they know how. I love the Book of Mormon. Have I said that lately? It is so neat to talk to people all the time about it and to be able to, without any doubt, say that I KNOW it is true. It's a pretty great feeling.

I have 80 pages left in the Old Testament THANK HEAVENS. Hopefully I will be finished by the next time I write. Which will actually be Wednesday the 13th because we are going to the temple that day and will have Preparation Day on that day instead of Monday.

Well nothing else to say today. Just glad to be a missionary and grateful for the experiences I am having. Even though my feet hurt.

You all are the best.

Way to go freedom!

Sista Brink

No comments:

Post a Comment